September, 2021 — Most residents of the Town of Saugerties are now receiving 100% renewable energy, at competitive rates, from the Town's CCA.
Learn about CCA
January, 2021 — Learn about clean energy actions you can take in your home or business from your own personal Energy Navigator
. Email New Yorkers for Clean Power
to schedule time with Betta or Michaela. We can help determine which energy efficiency and clean energy upgrades (+ state programs) will help you save money & energy!
The Climate Crisis is at a critical stage.
Urgent action is needed.
Our planet is experiencing more intense heat, bigger storms, longer droughts, increased flooding, raging wildfires, melting glaciers, and rising sea levels. And yes, man-made greenhouse gases are causing our climate to change.
That's why the Saugerties Town Board took these actions:
- Took the Climate Smart Communities Pledge back in 2009, the first town in Ulster County to do so.
- Appointed the Saugerties Climate Smart Task Force in March 2018 to help Saugerties continue to honor that pledge, and set new goals – further reduction of greenhouse gases and certification by New York State as a Climate Smart Community.
- October, 2019 — The Town of Saugerties has achieved NYS certification as a Climate Smart Community at the bronze level, the first town in Ulster County to acheive this.
- December 2020 - The Town of Saugerties reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 20.3% in 2020 compared to 2017, the baseline year.
- August 2021 - The Town of Saugerties completed the requirements of the Clean Energy Communities program and was awarded a $10,000 state grant.
By working together — Town government, residents, and business owners — we can reduce greenhouse gas emmissions while building our local economy, and be part of the solution to the climate crisis. Here are some suggestions:
What You Can Do
What Businesses Can Do
What Saugerties Is Doing
Chronogram Webinar on NY’s CLCPA.
New York’s Climate Leadership and Protection Act (CLCPA), passed in 2019, is one of the most ambitious climate laws in the world. But how are we going to get there?
Repair Cafe - Kingston
A Repair Cafe is a free community event. You bring your broken but beloved items and together with volunteer repair coaches. WE FIX THEM!
The Climate Crisis is an issue that cannot — and must not — be dismissed, avoided, or put on the back burner hoping that the federal government or some other entity will fix the problem for us.
There is an immediacy to this threat that requires all of us to be proactive and take responsibility for our little corner of the world as we work to further reduce our municipal greenhouse gas emissions and develop additional mitigation policies to address current and future impacts.
Our town's Climate Smart Saugerties task force is a perfect example of how volunteer efforts are bringing us closer to an energy sustainable future. The work of the task force couldn't be more important.”
Fred Costello Jr, Supervisor, Town of Saugerties NY