Task Force Goals
The goals of this task force are to:
- Reduce the town's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Continue fostering both short and long term cost-effective, energy-efficient technologies in town facilities.
- Promote a climate smart culture throughout our municipal government and community-at-large.
- Educate and engage the community about climate change issues.
- Ensure that energy and resource efficiency are explicitly considered and examined throughout town government decision-making.
Among the initial actions the task force is undertaking are:
- Preparing a baseline inventory of our town government's energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. The inventory will enable the town board and department heads to identify and prioritize new strategies to achieve energy efficiency, thus saving taxpayer dollars.
- Conducting energy audits of municipal buildings to help guide the town board's energy saving decision-making.
- Identifying opportunities to increase the number of LED street lights. LED light use about 50% less electricy than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Preparing a climate action plan that includes a timeline and recommends specific energy reduction and renewable goals. These can be incorporated into the town's economic development and planning efforts.
By completing these initial and additional actions, the task force seeks to achieve New York State certification as a Climate Smart Community. Certification means that the Town of Saugerties will be recognized as a leader in the effort to combat climate change, and will be well-positioned to obtain funding for implementing future climate smart actions.
Saugerties' Progress Toward Certification
September 06, 2018
Here are the actions taken so far. 120 points are required for the town to apply for certification.
||Town Board appoints Conservation Advisory Committee (CAC) as a task force.
||Town Board appoints a coordinator.
||Regional Climate Program Participation.
||Natural Resources Inventory documented.
||TOTAL SO FAR